Monday, June 15, 2009

Masked (Wo)man – Honey Mask


The Scoop

Dominic knows that I have a plethora of different masks that I have tried and use, but the other night, when I had on my honey mask, he was so befuddled (yes, that’s right, befuddled) that I thought his jaw was just going unhinge and fall off. “Dom, do you really have to sit here and stare at me?” “Yeahh… what’s it supposta do?” He kept looking at me, like I was some sort of California Nut for putting pure honey on my face. So we had a little talk on why pure honey makes one of the greatest masks…

In short, honey is great for acne, anti-aging, moisturizing, (eating), and so much more. And although Dominic reminded me that I was really schlapping “bee vomit” all over my face, that honey is nothing but goodness for it. The next morning, your skin will be glowing. It makes it softer, too. I’ve found that it helps with acne and seems to act as a mild anti-inflammatory. There are no side effects and you can do it as often as you like. In all honesty, I don’t feel that I can claim to explain the science behind this one, but trust me, it’s a worthwhile mask.

What does it all entail? Just get out the honey bear and lather on. You’ll probably land up wanting to use about 2 teaspoons, enough to cover your whole face. I even put this one under my eyes, it’s that gentle. Leave it on for at least 20 minutes.

Variations
Diluted with Water
Take 2 tps and dilute with a little bit of water. This will activate the naturally occurring hydrogen-peroxide found in honey. I would recommend this if you have acne. Acne is a bacterial infection; hydrogen-peroxide is an anti-bacterial.

Aspirin Mask – Honey Mask Combo
This is one of my favorites! Great for acne, too. Take a couple aspirin and drop them into water to dissolve them. (Pouring water over them does not work as well.) Drain off most of the extra water and then mix with the honey. This is such a great powerhouse combo, because the salicylic acid in aspirin is great for acne too.

Mixed with Citrus
Citrus fruits, particularly grapefruit, are great for your skin. Try mixing the 2 tps with a little bit of citrus (whatever you have on hand) juice, or maybe even zest.

Articles & Interesting Sites
Wiki on Honey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

Random Website All About The Benefits of Honey
http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment