Thursday, June 4, 2009

On Trial – Queen Helene’s Mint Julep Masque


This is definitely my HG (holy grail) face mask, hands down! I know that this is the go-to for many other women, people I know personally, as well as many women who post on the craigslist be/fo (beauty and fashion forum) and on the Makeup Geek forums. I was first introduced to Queen Helene by an old roommate. And although this may be the only good thing that ever came from living with her, it might have just been worth it; I really love this mask this much!

Who

Queen Helene – Smaller beauty company, mostly known for this mask.

What

Mint Julep Masque – Green clay mask that smells minty.

Where

CVS, ebay.com, or Queen Helene’s website http://www.queenhelene.com/skincare_product_detail.php?id=48

When

1 or 2 times a week, at night. If you have very oily skin, it may be okay to do it up to 3 times. OR Used overnight as a spot treatment on a blemish.

How

Put on to dry skin after cleansing skin (or at least after rinsing off with some water). Although this product is primarily intended for your face, if you have blemishes on your chest area, I would say it could be great for that as well. Just use your fingers and schlap it on. It’s done when it has completely dried. You’ll want to make sure that a thick enough coat is put on. It should take at least 15 minutes to dry; a coat that is too thin will dry in less than that. Finish up by washing off with warm water. Washing of with cold water is terrible, and, quite frankly, will take you forever with this one. OR You could also just rub a little dab on a blemish and leave it sit overnight. I know what you’re thinking: “This green crap is gonna get on my pillow!” But for whatever reason, this usually doesn’t even show up on my pillow and stays completely on my face. I would just say maybe wait about 5 minutes before going to bed.

Why

Why does this work? Well, the clay in the mask dries up on your face and pulls out impurities from your pores. Because it is clay, it essentially works the same way in which Pepto works. You take a big drink of clay, and it absorbs all of the yucky in your tummy to make you feel better. Think of this as doing the same thing for your skin – taking out the yuck to make you better. Additionally, it works to make enlarged pores appear smaller because the clay itself is tightening and shrinking up. Also, the glycerin and the zinc oxide in it are great for your skin. The zinc oxide is what helps to eliminate redness. (Future blogs on glycerin to come.)

Risk

None really. This is a very gentle product that I have never heard of anyone having a bad reaction to. Sometimes when I have a mask on my face, I forget about it. I’ve left it on for over three hours and not had a bad reaction.

$

Usually runs about $4 for a big 8 oz. tube. It will last for a few months, even if used every week. I saw them on clearance at CVS today for $2. And from my searches on ebay, it even might potentially be a better value on there.

Verdict

Completely worth it! For $4, this is one of the best products I have ever bought. This a product that does what it says. Dominic can laugh at my green face all he wants, this is one of the best out there, ladies. And I would recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I swear one day I WILL remember to go get this! Maybe a CVS run is in our future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally Agree with you on this product! Thank you so much in bring this product into my life!
    woot woot!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete