Sunday, June 14, 2009

What I Learned from My Dermatologist: Sunscreen


No one likes being sunburned but we sometimes forget just how strong the sun can be. Like my brother here, now that he’s not being a vampire on night shift anymore, he’s looking a little sizzled. In order to help women remember and simplify, there has been a decided recent trend in makeup and skincare products where so many companies are all beginning to make products that contain spf. From a marketing standpoint, it seems genius. From a “I have no time in the morning” standpoint, it seems like a great idea. But I wondered, how on earth could the spf in my foundation or lotion be nearly as good as a sunscreen? So on my last dermatologist visit, I asked him about just that. He said that the primary issue with this is that the quality of the spf in makeup and other products is that it is not nearly as good as a true sunscreen. According to him, if the bottle says it’s spf 15, it’s really more like the quality of an spf 10.

So all this to say, don’t be misled by the promises of spf in makeup. Simply put, the spf in makeup or even moisturizers just isn’t good enough. Of course this is better than putting on nothing at all, but especially if you are very fair or prone to skin cancer (as I am to both), the spf in your foundation just really isn’t going to cut the mustard for you.

And think about it, a dermatologist would recommend that you apply about a ‘quarter-sized’ blob of sunscreen to your face. Chances are you wouldn’t be putting nearly that much foundation on, and the primary purpose of the foundation is not to protect you. Sun damage is what causes aging and skin cancer. You still need to wear sunscreen!

I can hear it now, “But Daisy, sunscreen is just so dog-on greasy!” But dealing with a little grease is far better than the long term effects. Additionally, there are many sunscreens out there that are less greasy.

My top recommendation is La Roche-Posay Sunscreen. This one you’ll pay a pretty penny for, however, this is said to be the very best, most protective sunscreen on the market. It’s not greasy at all. However, to my knowledge, it’s only sold at CVS and Longs, or online through their website. (See links below.)

My second recommendation is Neutrogena. They also make a lot of great sunscreens that many dermatologists would recommend. Mine told me that if I couldn’t get the La Roche-Posay Sunscreen, I should opt for Neutrogena. The Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch is pretty nice and comes in many different levels of spf.

Another trick that might help out if you still feel like your sunscreen is feeling greasy on your face, put on your moisturizer, let it sink in, and then put on your sunscreen. After that, wait another minute for the sunscreen to sink in and then put on your makeup. Just do something like brush your teeth or comb your hair in between.
Hope this helps and I just wanted to encourage y’all to lather up!

AAD’s FAQ About Sun Care
http://www.aad.org/media/background/factsheets/fact_sunscreen.htm

WebMD’s Article on Sunscreen and Makeup
(Not sure if I agree with all of their ‘tips’ or product recommendations, but I think that especially the beginning part of the article has some good things to say.)
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/sunscreen-and-your-makeup-routine


La Roche-Posay’s Product Website
http://www.laroche-posay.com/_int/_en/index.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment